5 of the top OTC medicines at your local pharmacy
Allergies got you down? You don’t need to go to the doctor. There are many OTC medicines that are extremely effective at your local pharmacy. Here are five of the most effective.
- Claritin. Available in 12 hour and 24 hour, Claritin is one of the most well-known allergy medications. The RediTabs version is a melt-in-your-mouth medication that you can take while you’re up and about.
- Zyrtec. Like Claritin, Zyrtec has a number of different formulas, ranging from 12 hour to 24 hour, and including fast-acting, long-lasting, non-drowsy, and night-time medications.
- Benadryl. Benadryl is often effective when Claritin and Zyrtec are not, as it’s a different type of medication. It can be used to limit the effects of things such as food allergies or topical allergies. Benadryl is also known to be one of the most effective for treating allergies to ragweed specifically.
- Rhinocort. A nasal spray, Rhinocort is best used when the primary issue you’re experiencing is a stuffed nose. But it also reduces issues such as itchy eyes. The only downside is that some people may feel uncomfortable using a nasal spray.
- Allegra. An all-around allergy medication, Allegra can be effective for up to 24 hours and can be used to treat indoor and outdoor allergies. There are versions for both adults and kids, as well as a night-time and non-drowsy formula.
Many people eventually experience an “immunity” to allergy medications over time, so you may want to switch between medications from time-to-time to improve their effectiveness.
Always make sure to take these medications as directed on the label. If you have any questions, you can ask your pharmacist.