A Lifestyle Medicine Perspective To Avoid Weight Gain and Obesity
Today, weight gain and obesity rates are escalating. It has become a significant challenge to public health. Genetic factors can play a role, but lifestyle choices are prominently responsible for increase in weight and obesity.
Significant causes of weight gain & obesity
- Dietary Habits– The primary reason for the increase in weight and obesity is the consumption of high-calorie and poor-nutrient diets. Processed foods, sugary beverages, and saturated fats contribute to excessive calorie intake. Lack of portion control and over-dependence on convenience foods reduce the nutritional value of meals, which leads to weight gain over time.
- Sedentary Lifestyle – Advanced technology offers convenience but has made your lifestyle sedentary. At work people sit long hours before their computer screens. Even at home they spend time either watching their mobile phones or TV. People have forgotten the significance of regular physical activity. Insufficient exercise impedes weight management as well as increases the risk of various health issues, including cardiovascular diseases and diabetes.
- Lack of Physical Activity – Physical inactivity plays a role in weight gain. A sedentary lifestyle, along with a lack of regular workout, obstructs the metabolism rates. It means your body cannot burn calories as necessary, so fat start accumulating and your weight increases
- Psychological Factors – Stress, anxiety, and depression may make people binge eat. People crave for sugary, high-calorie food to handle their emotions, it helps to calm down.
- Sleep Deprivation – Sleeplessness disrupts hormonal balance, resulting in increased hunger and cravings for junk foods.
Lifestyle Medicine as a Solution
Lifestyle medicine is an interdisciplinary approach focusing on preventing, treating, and often reversing chronic diseases through lifestyle interventions. Healthy Conditions is a popular lifestyle medicine for weight loss in Atlanta. Their lifestyle medicine treatment works because healthy ones replace unhealthy behavior.
- A whole-food, plant-based diet rich in nutrients and low in processed foods is recommended for weight management.
- Portion control and mindful eating are emphasized to support sustainability.
Regular Physical Activity
Regular physical activity is a crucial element of lifestyle medicine.
- Incorporating exercise into daily routines not only aids in weight management but also promotes cardiovascular health, mental well-being, and overall vitality.
Behavioral and Psychological Support
Lifestyle medicine recognizes the importance of addressing psychological factors contributing to weight gain. Professionals recommend –
- Behavioral therapy
- Stress management techniques
It helps you develop healthy coping mechanisms and overcome emotional eating disorders.
Lifestyle medicine prioritizes adequate sleep.
- Establish consistent sleep pattern
- Create a conducive sleep environment
Getting sufficient sleep regularly supports overall health and aids in weight management.
Self-awareness is crucial
Self-awareness helps in health management, like eating consciously, recognizing stressors, staying away from substance abuse, and adopting healthy practices [regular workouts & sleep habits]. A lifestyle medicine specialist can help you regain a healthy way of living – both mind and body.
The solution to weight gain and obesity is not just a medical intervention, but requires a multifaceted approach. Lifestyle medicine aims to empower you to make sustainable lifestyle changes, which is a promising solution. Understand and address the root causes of weight gain and promote healthy behavior. In this way, lifestyle medicine paves the way for a healthier and more resilient society.