Simple Ways to Keep Your Micro centrifuge in Top Shape
Constant operation makes a micro centrifuge prone to wear and tear, which may potentially damage the equipment. However, these can be easily avoided by regularly cleaning and maintaining the centrifuge.
Some simple maintenance tips that you can follow are:
- Always place the centrifuge on a flat surface. An unlevelled surface makes the centrifuge vibrate vigorously during operation, striking an unbalanced performance in the rotor and resulting in poor separation.
- Unplug the power cord before cleaning. This is to avoid electrocution or short circuits from happening while cleaning the device. Water is an electricity conductor; when it gets into the motor with the current still active, it may cause a reaction resulting in a short circuit and a damaged unit.
- Wear disposable gloves when cleaning the centrifuge. A used centrifuge may contain various biohazardous residue from the liquid samples and tubes. Getting in contact with the residue may expose you to possible diseases and infections.
- Clean using prescribed disinfectants. Make it a point to use only recommended disinfectant solutions to ensure that the contaminants are removed without damaging the unit.
- Plug the centrifuge only when completely dry. Make sure that the unit is dry after cleaning; a damp or moist centrifuge may cause problems to its user control panel and as well as the electronics within.